Asset-Based Strategies for Faith Communities is a book written in 2002 by Susan Rans and Hilary Altman. This book presents a collection of stories from Christian churches and organizations throughout the United States.
Each describes a particular faith-based initiative aimed at revitalizing a congregation or its surrounding community, and several stories include activities designed to spur economic development. Communities of Shalom Zones are featured in this book.
A whole section of the book is devoted to Communities of Shalom in the chapter A National Initiative of the United Methodist Church.
The Asset-Based Community Development Institute located at the School of Education and Social Policy at Northwestern University is offering this book for free along with other books and workbooks on Asset-Based Community Development (ABCD). Here you have a list of all the books they are giving away:
- Building the Mercado Central: Asset-Based Development and Community Entrepreneurship by Geralyn Sheehan (2003).
- City-Sponsored Community Building: Savannah’s Grants for Blocks Story by Deborah Puntenney and Henry Moore (1998).
- Community Transformation: Turning Threats into Opportunities by Luther Snow with Uchenna Ukaegbu (2001).
- Discovering Community Power: A Guide to Mobilizing Local Assets and Your Organization’s Capacity by John P. Kretzmann and John L. McKnight, with Sarah Dobrowolski and Deborah Puntenney (2005).
- A Guide to Building Sustainable Organizations from the Inside Out: An Organizational Capacity Building Toolbox from the Chicago Foundation for Women by Deborah Puntenney (2000).
- A Guide to Capacity Inventories: Mobilizing the Community Skills of Local Residents by John P. Kretzmann, John L. McKnight and Geralyn Sheehan, with Mike Green and Deborah Puntenney (1997).
- A Guide to Creating a Neighborhood Information Exchange: Building Communities by Connecting Local Skills and Knowledge by John P. Kretzmann, John L. McKnight and Deborah Puntenney (1998).
- A Guide to Evaluating Asset-Based Community Development: Lessons, Challenges, and Opportunities by Tom Dewar (1997).
- A Guide to Mapping Consumer Expenditures and Mobilizing Consumer Expenditure Capacities by John P. Kretzmann, John L. McKnight, and Deborah Puntenney (1996).
- A Guide to Mapping Local Business Assets and Mobilizing Local Business Capacities by John P. Kretzmann, John L. McKnight, and Deborah Puntenney (1996).
- A Guide to Mapping and Mobilizing the Associations in Local Neighborhoods by Nicol Turner, John L. McKnight and John P. Kretzmann (1999).
- A Guide to Mapping and Mobilizing the Economic Capacities of Local Residents by John P. Kretzmann, John L. McKnight and Deborah Puntenney (1996).
- Leading by Stepping Back: A Guide for City Officials on Building Neighborhood Capacity by Henry Moore and Deborah Puntenney (1999).
- Newspapers and Neighborhoods: Strategies for Achieving Responsible Coverage of Local Communities, edited by John P. Kretzmann, John L. McKnight and Deborah Puntenney (1999).
- The Organization of Hope: A Workbook for Rural Asset-Based Community Development by Luther Snow (2001).
Several of these workbooks are no longer in print but are available as a free pdf by clicking here
Others may be ordered directly from the publisher going to their website: www.abcdinstitute.orgNo tags for this post.